New appointments have been made to the Events Industry Board to strengthen its membership. These are to ensure it continues to be fully representative of the various sectors of the industry that can influence the growth of international events that are held in the UK.
The new members are Leigh Jagger, CEO, EVCOM and formerly Director of the Banks Sadler Group and Conrad Bird, Director of Campaigns and Marketing at the Department for International Trade and formerly the GREAT Campaign Director working in the Prime Minister’s Office and the Cabinet Office Communication Department.
Jennifer Jenkins, former CEO, EVCOM will be remaining on the Board as an independent member.
The Events Industry Board, established in 2015, advises Ministers on ways of improving the competitiveness of the UK. The objective is to attract a greater number of high-quality international events as well as growing the value of existing international events and seeking to facilitate the creation of new events which relate to priority economic sectors. Its aims are to deliver growth through the economic impact generated by business events and visitor spend, whilst increasing opportunities for trade, exports and inward investment for UK businesses.
The Board is responsible for overseeing the implementation of the UK Government’s International Business Events Action Plan, announced as part of the wider Tourism Sector Deal by the former Prime Minister Theresa May.
The Board has created a comprehensive work programme, a series of roundtables with industry stakeholders including an Industry Leaders’ Advisory Panel and has working groups due to report back on Venue Infrastructure and Talent and Skills.
Michael Hirst OBE, Chair, Event Industry Board said: “I am delighted to welcome Leigh and Conrad to the board. Leigh’s experience of the industry and its creative enterprise will be essential as the Board looks for more ways of using events to showcase the best of Britain. Conrad has already been highly supportive of the business events sector through GREAT’s backing of VisitBritain’s Business Events Growth Fund. His marketing skills and links to the Department of International Trade will be invaluable in the future work of the Board, especially as we go forward and implement the UK Government’s International Business Events Action Plan.”
The Events Industry Board membership is as follows:
- Michael Hirst OBE – Chair and Chair of BVEP
- Sarah Wright – Independent
- Jennifer Jenkins – Independent
- Leigh Jagger – CEO of EVCOM
- Conrad Bird – Director of Campaigns and Marketing at the Department of International Trade
- Mike Rusbridge – Formerly Chairman of Reed Exhibitions – attending in a personal capacity
- Tracy Halliwell MBE – Director of Business Tourism and Major events – London and Partners
- Chris Skeith – Chief Executive of AEO
- Simon Hughes – Independent
- Kate Nicholls – CEO of UK Hospitality
- Representatives from VisitBritain, VisitEngland, VisitScotland, VisitWales and the Northern Ireland Tourist Board. It is also be attended by representatives from Government departments including DCMS and DIT.
The next meeting of the Events Industry Board was due to take place on Friday 6th September (today).