Scotland’s Event Industry Advisory Group (EIAG) met last week to discuss a number of areas directly related to the restart and recovery of the events sector. The Group received updates on:
- Recent Government announcements – including Touring Fund for live music, 100 days commitments delivered and the Agreement with the Scottish Green Party.
- The latest data on COVID-19 cases in Scotland – which has seen new cases more than double in the last week. EIAG members requested further clarity around whether event capacities and mitigations will need to be modified if cases continue to rise over the forthcoming weeks.
- The Government backed insurance scheme for events – which is due to be available from September 2021 and run until the end of September 2022.
- The COVID-19 Certification Scheme – A digital app is currently in development and due to be launched next month, initially for outbound international travel. Consideration is still being given to how this may be used across domestic settings. Responses from the Group underlined the risks around additional costs, access to Wi-Fi, the need for clear messaging for attendees, parity and collaboration across all four nations.
- The Event Sector Stimulus paper – submitted to Ministers last month which highlighted a range of initiatives aimed at creating the environment for a safe and sustainable event sector restart including grant funding; extension of Scotland’s Event Recovery Fund and training opportunities.
- Standard Classification Codes (SIC) – plans for a submission to DCMS outlining the need to reclassify codes.
- The EIAG Good Practice and Innovation Working Group – plans for potential future knowledge-sharing sessions including a Public Health focused seminar, and lessons learnt sessions on the delivery of live summer events and COP26 (All TBC).
- Scotland’s 7th National Events Conference – due to go ahead in the first quarter of 2022 with early planning already underway.
Angus Robertson (Cabinet Secretary for Constitution, External Affairs and Culture) has asked the event sector, as part of a collective effort across all sectors, to step up their efforts to reduce the spread of the virus. Guidance on precautionary and mandatory measures has been published no the Scottish Government website under the Coronavirus (COVID-19): safer businesses and workplaces section.