A new £15 million Culture Organisations and Venues Recovery Fund will provide critical support to a range of businesses such as art galleries, studio facilities, comedy venues, large music venues, commercial theatres, orchestras, dance companies and nightclubs.
It will help to reduce the threat of insolvency, protect jobs and create conditions for a more viable and sustainable future for the sector.
The funding also includes £21.3 million for Historic Environment Scotland (HES) to protect jobs and support the reopening of properties in their care.
An additional £5.9 million will be made available to support heritage organisations through committed grants, and £270,000 for the New Lanark Trust will help secure the future of one of Scotland’s six World Heritage Sites.
The package also includes:
- £5 million to address the immediate financial hardship faced by creative freelancers
- £5 million to support artists to continue developing new creative work that will make a significant contribution to Scotland’s recovery from COVID-19, including £1.5 million for the Culture Collective programme to support organisations employing freelance artists to work in communities across Scotland.
- £3.5 million for independent cinemas
- £3 million for youth arts including a funding boost for the Youth Music Initiative which will provide work for musicians.
The culture funds will be delivered through Creative Scotland and follows on from the previously announced £12.5 million Performing Arts Venue Relief Fund and £2.2 million support for Grassroots Music Venues. It comes as part of the £97 million in UK Government consequentials for the culture and heritage sectors.
Creative Scotland is establishing the details of the funds and how they can be accessed. More information will be made available soon.
Funding that has been announced so far to support the culture and heritage sectors includes:
- £10 million funding package for events
- £4 million Museums Recovery and Resilience Fund
- £3.8 million to protect jobs at the National Trust for Scotland
- £12.5 million Performing Arts Venue Relief Fund
- £2.2 million for Grassroots Music Venues
Find out more
Read more about the fund on the Scottish Government website.