Edinburgh’s week-long MagicFest has announced its biggest festival to date in its eight year history with a vastly expanded programme of events.
The festival, from June 30 to July 8, has brought in more Scottish performers as well as talent from overseas and will leverage VisitScotland’s themed year of History, Heritage and Archaeology to engage audiences at a series of new venues.
Organisers have announced the expansion of the sell-out show ‘The Secret Room’ from four to twenty shows, bringing three of Edinburgh’s unique historical venues to life with magic tours.
A new event for this year includes the UK debut of ‘From the Dark’, a show originally designed for the blind, which invites sighted and non-sighted audiences to experience the world’s only illusion show performed in complete darkness.
Organiser Kevin Quantum said: “‘I’m delighted to see more Scottish performers than ever before on the line-up for 2017, many of whom, in the Secret Room performance, are creating new work inspired by Edinburgh, her history and past residents and celebrating the year of History, Heritage and Archaeology.
“From overseas I’m hugely excited to announce the arrival of Chilean Juan Esteban Varela. Magicians have a real talent for problem solving, making the impossible possible. Magic is fundamentally a visual art form but Juan’s “magic show in the dark” is truly ground-breaking, allowing us to reach an audience who have never experienced magic before, it’s really heart-warming.’”
Highlights of this year’s programme include:
- MagicFair at Summerhall returns after sell-out launch last year with family events and late night sessions
- New ‘From the Dark’ show invites the audience to experience illusions while blindfolded in complete darkness – a show originally developed for the visually impaired
- After four sell-out years ‘The Secret Room’ expands to Riddle’s Court, The Writers’ Museum and Lauriston Castle, bringing their untold mysteries and dark pasts to life through the wonder of magic
- A ‘Levitations’ themed Gala Show brings MagicFest 2017 to a grand finale at Festival Theatre with international acts and gravity defying performances
- Solo shows from Morgan & West, R Paul Wilson, David Stone, Dave Alnwick and Luke Eaton